Marrying a Foreigner and Buying a Home in Singapore: Here is What You Need to Know in 2023

By Amanda Goh Marrying a Foreigner and Buying a Home in Singapore: Here is What You Need to Know in 2023 | Updated 7 Jan 2022 3 minutes

Singapore Foreigner Property Mini Guide

Click Image to Zoom

At a glance...

It should not come as a surprise to know that more than 1 in 3 marriages in Singapore are transnational (between a Singaporean and non-Singaporean).

If you are in a transnational relationship, and are considering buying a home and getting married, here are some tips on how to do so.

One official website that you should be relying on for official guidelines is the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority of Singapore (ICA) page. Here, you will know more about transnational families and paperwork you will need to fill.

Pre Marriage

If you decide to settle in Singapore with your partner, you will need to apply for a Pre-Marriage Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) Assessment.

There is a common misconception that marrying a Singapore citizen will grant a non-Singaporean citizenship automatically, which is not the case in Singapore. If your partner is a non-Singaporean, they will need to qualify for long-term stay in the country while applying for this assessment.

Once you have completed the assessment, you and your partner will receive a Letter of LTVP Eligibility (LLE), allowing you to apply for a long-term visit pass after marriage.

You can apply to do an assessment online through the Visit Pass Assessment & Application (e-VPAA) system. To do so, you will need to:
  1. Log into the e-VPAA system using SingPass and complete Part 1 of the form
  2. Log into the system again to complete part 2 of the form
  3. Once you have completed both parts, you will need to submit this form to the ICA for assessment
Some additional points to note when applying include:
  • Submission of this assessment is free
  • Submission of this assessment is free
  • Submission of this assessment is free

Once you are married, you will need to re-apply for a LTVP using the same system.

The Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) also provides programmes for transnational couples to prepare for life in Singapore. You may be required to attend these programmes to complete the assessment.


Insider tip

Obtaining the LTVP also allows you to apply for a Permanent Residency.

Post Marriage

Once you have received a valid LTVP, gotten married and have found a job, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will provide the new Singapore resident a Letter of Consent to work.

If you and your spouse are considering getting a HDB in Singapore, you can check your eligibility to apply on the Housing & Development Board website.

There are several schemes you can apply for as a transnational couple, including:
  1. Non-citizen spouse scheme 
    This scheme is available for 2-room flexi flats in mature estates for new flats and all resale flats.
  2. Public scheme
    This scheme has no restrictions on purchasing a new flat or resale flats.


While the non-citizen spouse scheme is only available for certain types of HDB flats, the public scheme provides transnational couples with a wider variety of flats to choose from.

Before purchasing a home, you should also check the amount of loans you will be eligible for on the HDB website.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *